Last weekend I saw the 2007 flick, “Beowolf,” on DVD. Initially, I was not impressed because I’m not a big fan of movies which apply CGI or computer-generated imagery. I can only appreciate this type of visual on video games but never in movies.
Moving on, I saw Anthony Hopkins and Robin Wright Penn so I decided to continue with this viewing session even though I’m not watching the real actors. But I didn’t focus on the early scenes of the movie. So what if the monster barges into the binging and drinking session of King Hrothgar to rip bodies and hurl human limbs. Sheeesh, I saw this before.
It was only upon seeing the main character, Beowolf, that I turned serious. When he said, “If we die it will be for glory, not gold,” I realized I have to see what this hero’s going to do with the monster, Grendel.
Unfortunately, I fell asleep. Surprisingly, I woke up with the line “If we die it will be for glory, not gold” echoing in my head so when night crept in, I opted to watch the movie again. This time, I made it a point to finish it.
It wasn’t bad, after all.
As I remember waking up with Beowolf’s dialogue in my head, I came up with a list of other movie lines that have had the same effect on me as that of Beowolf.
* “I made a promise and I kept it. Most people would have done the same.” (from “It Could Happen To You”)
* “I want some more” (from “Interview with the Vampire”)
* “I might run away without your permission and you might hate me forever, and I know that scares the shit out of you because I’m the only real thing that you have.” (from “Reality Bites”)
* “I’m funny how, I mean funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I’m here to fuckin’ amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? (from “Goodfellas”)
* “Lost love is still love, Eddie. It just takes a different form, that’s all. You can’t hold their hand, you can’t tousle their hair, but when those senses weaken another one comes to life…Memory. Memory becomes your partner. You hold it, you dance with it. Life has to end, Eddie… Love doesn’t – (from “The Five People You Meet In Heaven”)
* “I’ll wait for you. However long it takes. I’ll wait for you forever. – (from “Legends of the Fall”)
* “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” (from “Tuesdays with Morrie”)
* “My foot is telling me that I’ve been hurt by a shoe salesman.” (from “Only You”)
* Charlize Theron: You know, he asked me to marry him.
Jason Isaac: He’s not the first…
Charlize: No, but it was the first time I wanted to say “Yes”
– from “Sweet November”
* “Men… Can’t live with ’em, can’t shoot ’em.” (from “St. Elmo’s Fire”)
* “You have to promise you won’t fall in love with me.” (from “A Walk to Remember”)
* “I’m smart and poor.” (from “Love Story”)
* “Love does not end just because you stop seeing each other.” (from “The End of the Affair”)