READING is always a pleasant activity. It takes me to different places and introduces me to interesting characters. I especially like books with catchy quotes or phrases that linger in my head for a period of time. Some of my books I’ve read three times, others twice while there are those that I don’t remember having.
I rummaged through my books last night in search of “The Wuthering Heights” by Emily Bronte because I was in the mood to read it again. In the process, I was surprised to see a Leo Buscaglia paperback in my stuff. I recalled that it was given to me by my late grandfather.
I started browsing the pages of the book when a piece of torn paper fell off from it. I realized familiar quotes were written on the paper. I remember lifting these lines from the different books I’ve read but I forgot about storing them in Leo.
Those lines used to be my guiding star. Some people refuse to live by the book. According to them, a brilliant strategic move is the key to a good and content life. That may be true but it also helps to have something in hand (and in the heart) that will keep you grounded. Success and money are not everything in life anyway. Being human, you’re not expected to be perfect. Sometimes you are an angel but there are also instances when the demon in you just bursts out.
With these quotes, I know I can be a better daughter, sister, wife, mother, friend, worker, and person.
– “When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object” (The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera)
– “To understand just one life, you have to swallow the world” (Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie)
– “Who, after all, ever truly knows another human being completely? There will always be something fresh about him to love; so our marriage just can’t go stale.” (Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie)
– “But when the strong were too weak to hurt the weak, the weak had to be strong enough to leave.” (The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera)
– “If you hold back on the emotion – if you don’t allow yourself to go all the way through them – you can never get to being detached” (Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom)
– “Fairness does not govern life and death. If it did, no good person would ever die young.” (The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom)
– “I get scared when my eye blinks. Scared that during that second when my gaze is switched off, a snake or a rat or another man could slip into your place.” (Identity by Milan Kundera)
– “Pain does not listen to reason, it has its own reason which is not reasonable.” (Identity by Milan Kundera)
– “Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do you you start missing everybody. (The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger)
– “No one is ever satisfied where he is.” (The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery)
– “It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others.” (The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery)
– “And when two such people encounter each other and their eyes meet, the past and the future become unimportant.” (The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho)
– “When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream.” (The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho)